Thursday, September 6, 2012

Introduction and Explanation

Welcome! I am Nathan Hall (better known in some circles as sephie913) and this is my first blog post. I thought I would introduce myself a little more in depth, explain the title of the blog, and basically tell you what you can expect from it.

I am a writer of Epic Fantasy, as of yet unpublished. I occasionally write Thrillers (usually with supernatural elements), but I find I don't have the patience to research the science for Sci-Fi.

I am writing this blog for a couple of reasons.
1) I have the occasional thought that I feel I need to express, and
2) Because an internet presence is important in the world of Geekdom

Most of my posts will be on writing, in some form or another, even if it's just me whining over my troubles in doing so. :)

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm doing, so it might take me some time to find traction. Until then, my wheels might just spin uselessly. Also, I'm starting college alongside writing, so my posts might be few and far between until I've developed some sort of balance.

Now to the good part: what the heck is the meaning behind the title?!?!

In some ways, it's simpler than it seems. I play Magic: the Gathering in my spare time, and I am more of a "neat idea" kind of guy than a "I mustest win" kind of guy. "More Mana Than God" is one example, from an opening hand I had one evening.

(Those of you who don't play MtG, and don't know anybody who does, probably won't understand the following.

In Standard format:

3 Forest, 1 Birds of Paradise, 1 Druid's Repository, 1 Strangleroot Geist, 1 Primeval Titan

Turn 1: Play Forest, play Birds.
Turn 2: Play Forest, tap Birds for mana, play Druid's Repository.
Turn 3: Play Forest, play Strangleroot Geist, attack with Geist and Birds. (2 counters on Repository)
Turn 4: Hopefully play Forest, remove counters from Repository, play Primeval Titan.

Essentially, this leads to 11 mana on turn 5, or MORE MANA THAN GOD.

[Those of you who play might be interested to note that this leads to a reasonably quick Primal Surge, also known as "punch you in the face with my whole deck".]

This is essentially a risk/reward situation. If I don't get this, I lose. I only get this about once a night (or 1/9 of the time). But the look on my opponants' faces when I put my whole deck onto the battlefield--Asceticism gives them hexproof, Avacyn makes them indestructable, etc--the look on their faces is priceless.

------
So, that's basically what's going on. I hope you'll tune in next time, and even more optimistically, I hope I'll have something worth reading. I'll post something on here every other week, regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment